Slideshow

LuvDigiScraps's Awesome Mission Pics album on Photobucket

23 April 2012

Week 22: Bowling, Contacting and Stuff

Well my family, with only 2 days left in the transfer, I can say that I'm just about 2 transfers in! And also I am (in 2 days) officially a trained missionary in the field. :) Wow! There may be a slight chance that I could be training this next transfer too, but I won't find out until today or tomorrow. I'll let you know next week all that happened, because there's some changes going on. Elder Hammer, my trainer, is being transferred to San German to be a district leader over there! Also, I haven't yet received your package. It's probably waiting in the office, so the next time I'm up there or the ZL's are there, I'll get it. I did go to the office Friday to drop Elder Hammer off for a meeting, and got a package from the Scott family with candy in it and such, (very nice!) and then a very nice letter from the Bishop.

Mom - That's great to hear about Elder Hill, I'm glad he's still going strong in Peru! And that's weird to think that Marilee is going to activities and such, it still hasn't really sunk in... but it's good to hear that she's looking forward to working at the farm.

Dad - Thanks for the update on the Jazz and such, I hope they can make it! You'll have to let me know the entire playoff picture once the teams are set.

Marilee - I'll respond to your email separately. :)

Anyway, moving on to the week! Monday was P-day and Elder Foggin's birthday, so we went bowling again. I did better this time, scoring over 100 on my first game!

Tuesday was a normal missionary day, and we went out and worked, and were able to get a lesson in with Oscar Perez. We taught him about baptism and such, and he said that he hoped he could get an answer to be able to be baptized. It was a pretty good lesson, and I believe that he was touched. We'll keep working with him of course, and visiting him, and hopefully he'll soon accept a baptismal date.

Wednesday was nothing special either, just another missionary day. The morning was kind of slow, and everyone we passed by wasn't home. But the evening picked up, and we found some cool people while contacting in the streets, and were also able to visit a less-active family and teach them a little, and then passed by some other investigators. Overall, it wasn't a bad day, but just another typical day.

Thursday was interesting. We had a normal morning and afternoon and such, and then we passed by a guy that Elder Hammer contacted, named Pucho. We thought we were going to actually teach him, but it turned out that he only wanted us there to teach a couple of his friends. It was kind of weird to be honest haha.. oh well. We did get a couple of new investigators that way, so that was good.

Friday was kind of crazy, as all the DL's and ZL's had a meeting up in Bayamón. Elder Hammer didn't know he was supposed to be there until 10:00 that morning, so Elder Duclos and I took him up there, and then came back and worked in Caguas until that night, which was BYU-Idaho's Noche de Jazz at the Botanical Gardens here in Caguas. We were ushers and stuff there, and it was all right haha. I'll try and send some pictures.

Saturday was where it got interesting. We did some service that morning, and then we went and passed by some people trying to get them to go to the baptism the hermanas were having for their investigator. Nobody could, so we couldn't go either. So we visited this guy named Edgar, who speaks English and seemed really nice. He had told us to come by then, and so we did. He had a friend over though, and so we didn’t really want to interrupt. We told him hi, and he came out to talk to us for a few minutes. And then his friend came out, and said that he was from Idaho, and that because of the army, he’d been in Puerto Rico for 14 years. He was really nice and stuff, and talked to us just about life and what not, but then he kind of started asking some interesting questions, like about our belief of eternal progression and what not. To make a long story short, he basically told us that he’s a pastor of some church, and that he’s done a lot of research on other churches. He knew a TON about our church, and used a lot of the Bible to “support” his claims that our church is false. Now, it’s hard enough answering simple questions on the spot, but when talking about that kind of doctrine and everything, and then having a ton of questions asked, it’s hard to come up with answers on the spot. He asked a ton of more questions, too, that we couldn’t answer right there, and basically “invited us to take a step back and investigate more about our church.” Anyway, it was just interesting, and really tough to just sit there and not have any answers for him there on the spot. He’s a very learned man according to the world, but has no faith whatsoever. And that’s where he falls, because without faith, and without asking the only infallible source of knowledge, he’ll never really know. Anyway, I’m doing great still, but any advice, counsel, thoughts, or anything, I’d love to hear. :)

So yeah, that was Saturday. Sunday was okay; we had no investigators in church, so we couldn’t really stay after Sacrament meeting, so we went out to work. We taught this older man out in the country, which was interesting, and did a ton of walking out in those hills because our car was almost out of gas, and we couldn’t buy any on Sunday haha, so that was interesting. It was hot, and I was sweating, and I was dead tired when I got home, but it was still a pretty decent day.

Overall, it was a pretty interesting week, and I’ve learned a lot more, and I believe my testimony has been strengthened. I’ve had some really great learning experiences that have shown me how I can improve, and what I can do to help people understand better where we come from. It’s been great to learn and improve every day, and I’m thankful for this opportunity I have.

Anyway, I love you all, and pray for you always. Thank you so much for your support and for your love and prayers. You are the best family ever, and just think – only like 21 days until Mother’s Day! And you know what that means? Phone call! :) Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you next week!
--
Elder Kimball Ray Gardner
Puerto Rico San Juan Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment